There are many attributes to be considered for portable air conditioners, especially when being in a room during summer time without air conditioning, or when your main air conditioner breaks down. Portable air conditioners are less expensive compared to standard versions, but they are also less powerful and cool a smaller area.
What follows are the 5 best portable air conditioners. For those who are looking to cool small rooms, these are some of the best on the market.
Table of Contents
Rank #5 Best Durability for a Unit: SereneLife 3-in-1 Floor Unit
This floor unit may not be the prettiest, but it is built to last. The SereneLife 3-in-1 Floor Unit offers exceptional versatility, power, and a number of handy features.
- HANDY AND PORTABLE: The SereneLife Portable Air Conditioner System features a lightweight, handy, sleek body design intended to be...
- 3 OPERATING MODES: The compact floor AC indoor cooler conditioning unit features a simple electric plug in operation and has 3...
- BUILT-IN DEHUMIDIFIER: you don’t only get the cooling effect of the portable AC but also helps reduce humidity levels, a huge...
- REMOTE CONTROL: Features a digital touch button control panel which includes the power, mode, timer, temperature and fan speed...
- 8000 BTU COOLING POWER: with 900W rated power and 8000 BTU (ASHRAE) / 4,000 BTU (SACC) cooling power, the cold air can cover a...
- 3 Operating Modes: While the default mode will cool the room, you can also choose to dehumidify or simple operate the internal fan.
- Remote Control: You can operate all the important features from a distance thanks to the handy remote control.
- Cools Up to 225 sq. ft.: You can cool small bedrooms, cabins, campers, and other small rooms easily with this unit.
- Powerful: The 8,000 BTUs are more than enough to cool down a room.
- Versatile: You can choose to cool a room quickly, dehumidify, or simply turn on the fan to save on electricity.
- Robust: This unit is built to last and offers simple means of maintenance.
- Loud: When using it at full power, it can be quite loud.
While more expensive compared to the Shinco SPF2, it is quite robust and powerful. At just under $300, it’s also well-priced. Perfect for cooling rooms up to 225 square feet, the SereneLife 3-in-1 is one of the best portable air conditioners on the market.
Rank #4 Best Personal Air Conditioner Unit: Arctic Air Ultra
One of the smallest air conditioners on the market, the Arctic Air Ultra is not a true air conditioner in the sense that it does not run the air over frozen coils. Rather, it uses cool water to reduce the air temperature. While it can only cool a few square feet, it’s perfect for personal applications when you need to cool down at home or on the go.
- AIR COOLER: The Arctic Air Ultra is a portable air conditioner that cools, humidifies & purifies. This personal space cooler...
- QUIET & PORTABLE: The lightweight & whisper-quiet fan plus soothing night light make it perfect to use overnight for a comfortable...
- EFFICIENT COOLING: Hydro-chill technology pulls in hot air through an evaporative air-cooling filter & turns it into cool,...
- AS SEEN ON TV: Explore our variety of fun & helpful products for everyday life including: Inkjet Refill Kit, Microfiber Cloths,...
- CONSUMER DRIVEN: Ontel offers some of the most innovative consumer products on the market including toys, hand tools, home fitness...
- Runs Up to 10 Hours: The water tank allows for up to 10 hours of cooling
- Reusable Filter: The evaporative air filter is easy to maintenance and can be used again
- Multi-Directional: You can aim it easily to direct the air from the unit.
- Cheap: At around $30, this unit is quite inexpensive. Perfect for personal cooling when at home or on the go.
- Effective: For what it is designed to do, it is quite effective at cooling the surrounding air. It’s not very strong, but it does work within a limited distance.
- Robust: Because it uses water and not coils or freon, this personal air conditioner is built to last a long time under normal use.
- Limited: You are not going to cool a room with this unit, only yourself and that’s if you sit close enough.
- Cool Water: The air will only cool as much as the water inside the tank. That means you will have to find a cool source of water to use.
For what this unit does, the Artic Air Ultra is easily the best personal portable air conditioner around. You will not be able to cool a closet, let alone a room. But on nights when you need cooler air to help you sleep or just to make things more comfortable, the Artic Air Ultra is a steal at this price.
Rank #3 Best Power Unit: Black & Decker BPACT10WT
From a company known to deliver robust, powerful devices, the Black & Decker BPACT10WT offers a remarkable 10,000 BTUs. That’s enough to cool small to medium-size rooms, cabins, and the like. It’s relatively simple design is augmented by its durable nature, straightforward controls, and portability for most situations.
- Portable AC: Use this personal air conditioner (15.3” x 14” x 24.8") in rooms up to 450 sq. ft. Stay cool in the hot summer...
- 3-in-1: 3-in-1: Our 5800 BTU DOE (10000 BTU ASHRAE 128) air conditioner also functions as a dehumidifier & fan. This portable air...
- Impressive Features: Set the temperature just right with this ac portable air conditioner. Our ac unit portable also has a...
- Easy Mobility: Thanks to casters on the bottom and side handles on both sides of the small air conditioner, this air cooler can be...
- Installation Kit: When it comes to fans that blow cold air, this indoor ac unit includes an easy-to-install window kit. A large,...
- 250 Sq. Ft. Cooling: The 10,000 BTUs will easily cool rooms that are 20’ x 20’ and even larger depending on the circumstances. This unit works well for bedrooms, dens, and other small to medium-size rooms in the home.
- LED Display: This allows you to easily see the controls and read the settings. Includes 24-hour timer and sleep mode. This means you can control when it is used for maximum cooling at minimal electricity use.
- 3-in-1 Design: You can cool, dehumidify, or simply turn on the fan. The versatility allows you to choose the right mode for the room the unit is in.
- Mobility: This unit is on wheels which allows you to easily move it from room to room with minimal effort.
- Filter: Offering excellent access to the filter, you can change it out or clean the filter in very little time.
- Compatible: The unit works with sliding or double hung windows which makes it quite versatile.
- No Crank Windows: Unfortunately, the versatility ends if you have crank windows in the home. This will not allow you to use the unit properly.
All things considered this is one of the better units on the market. The sheer power of this portable air conditioner makes it a prime choice for those who want to cool small to medium-size rooms. It’s also a good emergency air conditioner in times when your main unit has broken down.
Rank #2 Best Portable AC & Heater: RolliCool Portable Air Conditioner
One issue with many portable AC units is that they do not have a heating function for the winter. The RolliCool Portable Air Conditioner includes a space heater to make the cold winter nights warmer and more comfortable.
- Voice Control with Alexa – Control your home’s climate with quick and easy voice commands by pairing your room air conditioner...
- Control via Mobile App – Download the RolliCool app to control your home air conditioner from anywhere in the world straight...
- Long-Lasting Luxury – This versatile 10, 000 BTU air conditioner can cool, heat, dehumidify, and fan spaces up to 450 sq. ft. to...
- Roll Your Cool to Any Room – This standing air conditioner includes casters and a moveable window kit for easy transportation...
- Refrigerant – Go green and stay cool with this small air conditioner’s R410A refrigerant and reusable filters. Wash* the...
- Voice Control: One of the most interesting features is the connection with Alexa. This allows you to use voice control to operate the unit. A mobile app means you can control the unit from anywhere you have an internet connection.
- Powerful: The 10,000 BTUs provides plenty of power to heat or cool rooms up to 450 square feet. This is perfect for small to medium-size rooms when extra cooling or heating is needed.
- Eco-Friendly: This unit uses R410A refrigerant along with reusable filters to minimize the impact on the environment.
- Cooling: Considering the price, this is a great cooling unit perfect for emergency use. Plus, it provides plenty of heat as well for excellent versatility.
- Green: The eco-friendly refrigerant used along with the reusable filters means that you are protecting the environment thanks to the small carbon footprint.
- Durable: This unit is built to last thanks to the straightforward controls, easy access filter, and robust design.
- Condensation: You will need to attach the hose and empty the tank frequently depending on the humidity levels.
For those who are looking at a cooling and heating unit in one, the RolliCool Portable Air Conditioner is the one to get. It is reasonably priced, robust, and provides year-round use thanks to its strong cooling and heating elements.
These five portable air conditioners represent the best of their type on the market today. You can choose the one that best fits your needs. Plus, they are reliable, versatile, and an excellent value for the price.
Rank #1 Best Overall Unit: Shinco SPF2
Compact, yet powerful. The Shinco SPF2 offers all the features you expect from a portable air conditioning unit. The modern design, overall power, and reliability make it one of the best purchases. You can select from larger, more powerful versions of the SPF2, but the 8,000 BTUs is plenty of cool a small room.
No products found.
- Power: The 8,000 BTUs offers plenty of cooling power for a space that ranges up to 200 square feet. This means that you can cool a bedroom, camper, office, or even a small cabin. The power provides plenty of versatility when traveling or at home.
- Multiple Functions: The 2-speed fan allows you to cool a room quickly, then switch to a quieter mode if you plan to sleep or relax. It will also dehumidify a room fast as well.
- Self-Evaporation: This system cools the condenser coils inside with water pulled from the air. The result is less water in the tank to drain when the unit is done.
- Easy to Use: The LED display offers a simple way to activate the unit. All the controls are in one place which makes it perfect for beginners.
- Fast Installation: Whether on the go or using it to cool a room at home, you can install this air conditioner fast. Exhaust hose and window kit are included with the product.
- Noisy: When using full power, it can be quite noisy. That changes when the lower setting is used.
Overall, this is a remarkable air conditioner that is well priced. At under $260, it is a considerable bargain considering all the advantages. It can be noisy, but it will cool a small room down fast. This would be our top pick among all the best portable air conditioners on the market today.
Bullseyereview.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. We may earn a commission when you buy through links on our site.
Last update on 2023-09-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API